If the weather were to stay like this year round, I would be perfectly happy. Nothing is more beautiful than Austin in the Spring. The wildflowers are blooming, the entire campus smells like wisteria, and we can go outside without melting. I love seeing everyone getting out on the trails along Ladybird Lake, taking my dog to Zilker Park, and sitting outside at Mozart’s. After being outdoors so much, I find myself craving something light and cool. This spinach salad really hits the spot and has been my go-to meal lately. The apple gives a nice crunch and sweetness that blends well with the salty-savory tastes of the spinach and chicken. The dressing is what really makes it stand out, though, and is actually a family recipe. It incorporates several food groups and, get this, it’s actually filling. A salad that leaves you satisfied? Crazy, I know. Come and get some spinach from our farm stand tomorrow and try for yourself!
Makes one large salad
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach*
- 1 small green apple, cubed
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes**
- 1/2 cup shredded chicken, warm or cooled
- Sliced almonds
For the dressing
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 3 Tbs champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
*Available at the micro farm today
**Coming to the micro farm soon
First make the dressing. Simply place all ingredients in a mason jar and shake until well blended then set aside. Then chop the apple and halve the tomatoes, assemble the salad, and top it off with a sprinkle of almond slices and dressing.
- Pro-tip: Vegetarian? Substitute the chicken with 1/2 cup white beans or lightly seared tofu.
- Pro-tip: If you have a nut allergy then replace the almonds with sunflower seeds and the walnut oil with olive oil.
- Pro-tip: This goes really well with a slice of whole grain toast and some cucumber mint H2O 😉