The farm is producing a rainbow of vegetables at the moment: purple aubergines, both orange and red tomatoes, yellow squash, and green swiss chard, just to name a few!
I recently prepared a squash and tomato dish using some colorful Micro Farm ingredients. This recipe comes from the Vegetarian Times and is perfect for summer evenings. Just add salad. 🙂
Please come support us at our summer vegetable stands at the farm, Wednesday afternoons from 4 to 5:30 PM and Saturday mornings from 9 to 11 AM. We hope to see you there!
Low-Cal Tomato and Squash Crumble
3 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 ¼ cups fresh breadcrumbs
2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
½ lb. small yellow crookneck squash, diced (2 cups)
3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
½ cup grated Swiss or Gruyère cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 F and grease an oven-proof baking dish with a dab of butter.
2. Heat remaining butter in a pan over medium heat. Pour 2 T of the butter over freshly made breadcrumbs. (I just tore up slices of bread because my food processor was out of reach, and it was still delicious.)
3. Increase heat to medium-high and sauté onions for 7 to 9 minutes. Add squash and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Finally, mix in tomatoes and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Transfer the veggie mixture to the baking dish and top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Let cool slightly and serve with chopped parsley on top, for some extra color and flavor! Season with salt as needed.